Thursday, April 15, 2010

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah - the temptations of Ebay!

O.K. so here's the deal...

I have made a concsious effort over the last year or so to get away from selling on Ebay and focus on my Etsy shop. My reasons are basically this...

Etsy is a warm and friendly atmosphere in which to shop and sell.
They offer support and advice through the community and administration. Etsy keeps their fees low and offers free storefront set up, etc. for your shop. The people who buy on Etsy really seem to appreciate the handmade nature of items and their value.

Ebay, on the other hand, has been continuously increasing fees over the years to the point where it is simply too expensive to list many items. I had to cancel my Ebay Store awhile ago due to the extra charge for it. People who buy on Ebay (myself included, mind you) are looking for a bargain. Handmade items do not seem to get the recognition they deserve.

Alas, here is the dilemma...

Whenever I do list on Ebay I get sales! Bottom line - a HUGE marketplace equals more sales.
As much as it annoys me to get nickel and dimed for my hard work, I can't deny that I have gotten the majority of my custom orders and income from Ebay.

I can deny it no more & have gone crawling back as of tonight!

http://shop.ebay.com/kathys711/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

May God have mercy on my soul!


Has anyone else out there found this to be the case?
Can you ease my "handmade" guilt?

I'd like to hear from you.

No comments: